COPD: the ignored epidemic
Episode 1: the eXpand Podcast
With Henry Roberts
Listen to the eXpand Podcast and join experts clinicians as we dive into chronic lung diseases and eXpand your practice.
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) might not be in the spotlight like some other diseases, but it’s a serious health issue that we need to address.
In today’s podcast episode, we talked about COPD, how it affects people, and the work of COPD Canada to give patients a stronger voice.
COPD is a term that covers chronic bronchitis and emphysema. It’s the third leading cause of death in Canada, and sends more people to the hospital than anything else, except for COVID-19 and pregnancy.
What’s surprising is that it takes more lives than other chronic diseases, including asthma.
Here’s the question: Are we giving COPD the attention it deserves, like we do for heart problems and diabetes?
Our recent podcast focused on the details of COPD. It’s not just about the medical side – it’s also about the struggles that patients face but aren’t always seen.
Today you’ll learn:
- The impact of COVID-19 on COPD patients
- The role and objectives of COPD Canada
- The importance of spirometry testing in diagnosing COPD
- The potential future risks of COPD from new exposures like marijuana and e-cigarettes
Our guest: Henry Roberts from COPD Canada
We had a great conversation with Mr. Henry Roberts, who co-founded COPD Canada and serves as its managing director.
COPD Canada has been around for over twenty years, giving a voice to those who often feel unheard.
This organization creates a space where patients can talk about what they’re going through – their experiences, fears, and hopes.
Their goal is to raise awareness among people who might have COPD, like smokers or those who have been exposed to harmful pollutants, substances, etc.
They’re also building a community where patients and caregivers can find the support and information they need to manage COPD effectively.
Resources to go deeper:
- For Closed Captions: Watch on YouTube and turn on “CC”. For instructions to turn on closed captions, click here.
- Learn more about COPD: https://chroniclungdiseases.com/en/copd/
- COPD Canada: http://www.copdcanada.info/
- Living Well With COPD program: https://www.livingwellwithcopd.com/
COPD Management courses:
- COPD Management for Exercise Professionals: https://www.expandcourses.com/courses/COPD-Exercise-Professionals
- COPD Management for Healthcare Professionals: https://www.expandcourses.com/courses/COPD-Healthcare-Professionals
More Episodes For You
Get the latest updates on The eXpand Podcast
Receive tips and more free resources to enhance your experience and eXpand your practice.
Also, be the first to know when new episodes are live.